Monday, September 10, 2012

September is Nation Sewing Month y'all...


I almost forgot, HAPPY NATIONAL SEWING MONTH folks. I just recently found out such a thing existed, and I’m glad. There’s something about sewing. The pride and feeling of accomplishment of finishing a piece, and having it fit nicely. I even like the hum of the sewing machine, maybe a little too much, since it doesn’t bother me to have to undo something and re-sew it.

Speaking of sewing machines, when I was 17 turning 18, my dad bought me my very own, very nice Necchi sewing machine and console. It was the best gift I had ever gotten. It was one of those that folded down into the table and had a leaf that folded out for an extra big sewing surface. The front little section flipped down and there were pegs for my threads and the one drawer was enough for the notions I had at the time. I remember making palazzo pants, with polka dots of course since they were very big at that time (yes, I’m dating myself). I made some tops and skirts, and even a couple pairs of M.C. Hammer pants- all of us over a certain age know exactly what I’m talking about...  :-)

Anyway, fast forward to the present. I won that nice Janome from Mimi G. and have been having a little bit of trouble with it. The closest dealer is a ways away, and I’m not sure they do repairs. Anyway, I am so in love with the brand in general that I am saving up for a brand spanking new one. In the meantime, my daughter has acquired the love of sewing- even if she prefers to do bags and other accessories. She is just now gravitating to clothing. And just as this happened, there was a surplus auction in town. Timing could not have been better. I went, and there was a sea of sewing machines with tables from a middle school they had just closed. PERFECT.



So for a VERY good price, I got my daughter a very sturdy Husqvarna sewing machine. The model wasn’t too old either. And when I got it home and tried it out, now I’m not an expert at these things, but it sounded very nice. I think it actually purred. The stitches are basic, but for someone just starting out, it’s perfect. So now she has a machine all of her own. And as I set it up and stood back and gazed upon it, something occurred to me. In exactly one week my little Ary will be 18 years old. Maybe this will become a sort of family tradition….it could happen…


Thanks for tuning in, come again
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment